Tuesday, September 18, 2007

The ship has sailed!

So my hopes for a teacher who listens with an open heart and an open mind where answered. My meeting with Justin's teacher went awesome. Well at least I think so. It is weird - I feel happy even though I was told that my son requires an Individual Education Plan to succeed in grade one. I felt relieved that he will be turning 7 in January and his teacher will be referring him to have an assessment for CAPD - Central Auditory Processing Disorder. I am relieved that if that doesn't tell us anything and he still struggles, she will refer him for a full assessment. I am relieved she is already using some of the suggestions the OT has made and is excited to try some of the new ones. My feelings of happiness and relief aren't because I want something to be wrong with my boy, but that someone is actually listening and not going to play a painful waiting game. She knows what needs to be done, what steps need to be taken to keep this ship moving. It's music too my ears considering I had to argue to get my older boy noticed. At one point they towed some line that if I didn't medicate him they couldn't do anymore for him. Yes - they actually said that! Not that I am anti- medicine - we have been there and back again, but just the thought that that stipluation was made was shocking to me.

So the journey continues - destination unknown - but so far so good - Justin says he is beginning to like grade one - some fears already alleviated because this teacher understands, she guides and helps him. For once I can say with a smile - she is one step ahead of me - instead of the other way around.

No comments: