Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Life Scraps Presented By Tracy Sherriff – Scrapbooker and Storyteller

Scrapbooking isn’t about scraps of paper and photo’s. Scrapbooking is about scraps of life, yours and those special to you.
Author Rebecca Sower. Taken from Chicken Soup for The Scrapbooker’s Soul

No one can pass through life, any more than he can pass through a bit of country, without leaving tracks behind, and those tracks may often be helpful to those coming after him finding his way.
Author Sir Robert Baden – Powell. Taken from Soup for The Scrapbooker’s Soul

Quick Start Guide to Storytelling about Yourself
A Day in the Life of Me – scrapbook about your typical day
Weekend Fun
Bedtime – your habits, clothes or rituals
Snow Days – Digging out – storms to remember
Dinner's at Our House – typical Menu’s, table settings, prayers
Family Funnies – stories you share that make people laugh
Worship – where we worship and how we worship
Pets
Places – favourite haunts, movie theatres, shopping centers, grocery stores
Out to Eat – Favourite Restaurants and things you “usually order”
Family Tree – who we are and how we met
Heritage Page – traditions, background
Decade in Review – what do you remember – what was significant
History in the Making - current events
I remember When I was...
What if's
We Were There When...
The Year I was Born
New Year’s Eve
Holiday Newsletters
Entertainment – what we do for fun, idols, books, music we love
My Work
Milestones and Personal Achievements
Cherished Moments
Favourite Sayings
Silly Stuff – Laugh at Yourself
My Family – how my family affects me and my relationships
Grattitude - what I am thsnkful for
Turning Points

Tapping into Memories
o Go through old photo albums – yours and others
o Interview Relatives
o Research an era
o Use your library, internet
o Listen to Old Music
o Hold keepsakes
o Start to journal regularly – current events

Consider
Clipping newspaper articles
Select a scripture
Share favourite quotes or lines from a storybook
Add poems, recipes, cards, sentiments and notes
Ideas compiled from various sources

THOUGHTS TO PONDER

“Today, my daughter is one year, eight months, and six days old. This morning we played peek-a-boo for fifteen minutes straight. This afternoon on our walk, we counted 11 basketball hoops in the neighborhood and picked two dandelions. This evening we read Fish Wish and Goodnight Moon, three and five times respectively, before we said our prayers. I remember well what we did today, how much we laughed, and the songs we sang. But ask me what we did last week and I have trouble recalling even the simplest of details. We can joke that “motherhood does that to you” (and every mother knows this is true), but what I love most about scrapbooking is that I can forever capture these precious daily events, and keep them close to my heart. “My scrapbooks are detailed chronicles of my life, my family, and our stories! Each page is a labor of love (and often sweat, tears, and lots of embellishments), and tells a different story from our past. When I have long forgotten how old Sam was when she took her first steps, lost her first tooth, or went on her first date, my scrapbooks will still remember. Every time I turn the pages, the sweet events of years gone by will be revisited and experienced anew. “So, today Samantha is one year, eight months, and six days old. But someday she will be 21, and I’ll long to remember what today was like as I sit in my “empty nest.” Someday Sam will be 41, and I will show her children what their mommy looked like, and what she was doing at their age. And, Lord willing, when I am gone, my dear Sam will show her grandchildren these wonderful books, and our precious memories will live on forever.”
Nona Davenport from Close To My Heart Keynotes Dec. 2006/Jan. 2007

No comments: